You read that headline correctly. Mojang’s cult PC game Minecraft, where players build things and let their imaginations run wild with textured 3D cubes is making its way to Sony Ericsson’s Xperia Play smartphone. The news comes from a single tweeted pic from the original creator of Minecraft, Markus “Notch” Persson’s Twitter account.
Kotaku was able to confirm with Persson that the game will be shown off next month at the E3 video game convention in Las Angeles. Persson also says Minecraft will hit Android devices first, before making its way on iOS devices. With the added intuitiveness of a touchscreen, building huge creations in Minecraft should be somewhat more fun, although it hasn’t been confirmed what kind of control scheme the game running on the Xperia Play will use. The photo shows a person’s hands using the D-Pad and triangle, circle, X and square buttons.
If we think beyond smartphones, we start to see an even bigger picture for Minecraft’s potential: tablets. Minecraft for Android devices might just be the killer game/app that it needs to get an edge over its iOS rivals, maybe.
Next Story: New Call of Duty: Black Ops PS3 bundle arrives
- 2014-04-07: The Simpsons Couch Gag Gets A Minecraft Theme
- 2014-04-04: Minecraft For Xbox 360 Crosses The 12 Million Copies Sold Mark
- 2014-03-31: Minecraft PS3 Update Delivers New Features Like Zombie Villagers
- 2014-03-28: Minecraft Creator States Minecraft For Oculus Rift Would Have Been Free
- 2014-03-26: Minecraft TU14 Update Arrives On Xbox 360 Today, PS3 Tomorrow
- 2012-03-14: Minecraft Pocket Edition updated: now with pigs
- 2012-02-12: Minecraft – Pocket Edition updated
- 2011-12-23: Xperia PLAY gets Ice Cream Sandwich
- 2011-08-22: Sony Ericsson Xperia Play Minecraft edition up for grabs
- 2011-08-15: Limited edition Minecraft Xperia Play up for auction