Augmented reality (AR) has been one of the most exciting technologies to be introduced in recent years and it’s no surprise to see it combined with existing tech to make life better. One of the most useful ways it has been implemented is with navigation devices. Route 66 has done it with their Route 66 Maps + Navigation, and now Pioneer is onboard with the technology as well.
Pioneer has recently announced a new car navigation system – the AVIC-VH09CS: the first in-dash car navigation system that makes use of AR technology. The navigation device functions like a regular in-dash GPS with the addition of an AR scouter mode. Using a camera that’s mounted on the car’s windshield, the AVIC-VH09CS can display footage of what’s in front of the car and places arrows on the road itself, making it easier to follow directions in locations you’re not too sure of. The system also identifies locations and traffic lights for you, making it a breeze to identify landmarks and such.
In addition to being a fully functional navigation + AR system, the AVIC-VH09CS doubles up as an in-car entertainment device. It has a 7″ LCD touchscreen display, a DVD/CD player, USB/SD card slot, with 5.1ch support, and Bluetooth.
While a system like this has its benefits, it could also be a big distraction to people who aren’t good at staying focused on the road. In some cases, turn-by-turn audio directions would do a better job of commanding a driver but for people who need to rely on visuals, a device like this might solve their problems. They just need to remember to keep their eyes on the road as well. The Pioneer AVIC-VH09CS will go on sale later this month in Japan for about $3,700.
- 2014-01-28: Augmented Reality In Public Buses Might Attract More Passengers
- 2014-01-06: Turkish Bank App For Windows Phone Incorporates Augmented Reality
- 2013-12-20: Meta Pro Smart Glasses Wants To Take Augmented Reality To The Next Level
- 2013-10-17: Wikitude Studio Upgrade Brings Video Augmentations
- 2013-10-01: Volkswagen Demonstrates MARTA AR App To Help With Repairs
- 2011-10-04: Pioneer Augmented Reality (AR) Heads Up Display
- 2011-06-23: TapNav Augmented Reality GPS navigation is vision based
- 2011-05-26: Pioneer Floating Vision display lets you "touch" 3D visuals
- 2011-02-18: Route 66 Maps + Navigation makes use of Augmented Reality
- 2009-05-05: Pioneer AVIC-F310BT Has GPS Navigation