Now this is very interesting – while we heard that the next iPhone to hit the market would be the iPhone 4S, along comes word on the grapevine that the iPhone 5 will arrive by early August – that would be slightly more than 2 months down the road. To sweeten the deal, it seems that the iPhone 5 will sport a higher resolution 8-megapixel camera complete with a SIM-less setup, although the overall design is touted not to be very different from what you see with the current iPhone 4.
The SIM-less rumor comes amid confusing information on that topic. Apple was rumored to be working on an even smaller SIM card format, so is this an “embedded SIM”, or the “absence of a SIM”? Things are rather murky.
Macotakara’s anonymous source reported that this iPhone 5 will be powered by an ARM Cortex-A9 based system on a chip (SoC), although nothing is confirmed at the moment about whether said SoC will boast one or two cores.
There will also be three to four internal antennas that will enable the device to function as a “world phone”, making it play nice with both GSM and CDMA networks – for folks in the US, it means that the same piece of hardware may be able to run on both T-Mobile/AT&T and Verizon/Sprint networks.
Other unconfirmed details include a Qualcomm chipset inside and an improved LED flash. What do you think of the whole situation – will you put off the iPhone 4 purchase now that you’ve heard of this news?RELATED
- Alleged Prototype Official iPhone 5s Case Resembles The iPhone 5c
- iPhone 6 Prototype With 4.9-Inch Screen Being Tested [Rumor]
- Apple Reportedly Buys Kinect-Tech Creator PrimeSense For $345 Million
- Amazon's 2014 Smartphone Rumored To Feature 3D Gestures And Eye Tracking
- WSJ "Confirms" iPhone 5c Orders Being Cut
- Follow: Apple Inc, iPhone, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iphone5,
- Seen at: appleinsider