At the moment there seems to be an outage of Skype going on. A small number of users have reported about having trouble logging in or sending messages and making video calls. Skype is aware of the problem, and have found out what it is though they haven’t announced what it is yet. But Skype has posted a temporary solution to get Skype working again, head over to the official Skype blog for detailed instructions.
For those who don’t want to go through the hassle of manually fixing it, you can stay tuned for a fix that will be rolled out soon. In the meantime just sit tight, and use an alternative IM/VOIP client if you really need to get in touch with somebody. Don’t forget there is email, Facebook, and a million other ways to get in touch with somebody.
Any of you experiencing this outage? It seems to be working fine for me.
Update 7.00AM: It turns out that the issue isn’t as large as we initially thought. Skype has reported that only a small number of people were affected. Article updated to reflect changes. Keep in mind that even a “small percentage” of Skype users, can represent a “large number” of people in absolute terms. Skype has promised to come back to us with a more accurate figure.
- 2014-04-14: Voxeet 2.0 with Dial-in Support and Voxeet for Mac - Review
- 2014-04-10: Skype For Xbox One Getting Update Next Week
- 2014-04-08: Skype For Modern Windows 2.7 Introduces New Features
- 2014-04-02: Skype For Windows Phone 8.1, Windows 8.1 Announced
- 2014-04-01: Skype Could Feature New Chat UI For Windows Desktop
- 2011-08-12: MySpace homepage down
- 2011-06-07: Skype is down, again (updated)
- 2011-05-26: Fix released for Skype downtime
- 2011-04-20: Skype for Android vulnerability fixed
- 2010-12-23: Skype downtime clarified - problem with supernodes