Remember news yesterday concerning a stolen shipment of Sony Ericsson PlayStation phones? Well, it seems that the whole shebang has been just a prank – a bad one at that as most people would perceive. Vodafone did mention last night over its official Twitter site concerning the theft, with the intention of delaying the launch in that part of the world because of it. Vodafone New Zealand tweeted, “[We] regret to advise the Xperia Play launch will be delayed”, touting that a major security breach had happened, with the entire shipment of phones disappearing.
Vodafone New Zealand spokesman Matthew East did a 180-degree turn this morning by informing The Australian that the company had actually made up the claim on Twitter simply for marketing purposes. How will you react to such news? Do you find sacrificing a bit of perceived goodwill in return for publicity worth it?
- 2014-04-08: SoftBank Reportedly Considering Bid For Vodafone
- 2014-03-18: Vodafone UK To Sell Gold Galaxy S5 Exclusively
- 2014-03-12: Vodafone Germany Begins To Introduce SIM Card Based Encryption
- 2014-02-25: Vodafone Instant Network Mini Delivers Mobile Networks When Disaster Strikes
- 2014-01-27: AT&T Announces They Have No Intention Of Bidding On Vodafone
- 2011-05-19: Sony Ericsson Xperia Play on sale now
- 2011-05-17: Sony Ericsson Xperia Play smartphone shipment stolen
- 2011-04-01: Full Lineup of Xperia Play Games Unveiled, Global Launch Imminent
- 2011-03-24: Xperia Play Games Could Cost as Much as $15
- 2011-03-08: Sony Ericsson Xperia Play available on eBay