Heard of OmniVision before? No? Well, you had better start getting used to it since it is the company which has just picked up the tab to produce 90% of the next generation iPhone’s 8-megapixel camera. Their CMOS-based sensor will clearly beat out Sony’s contribution which comprises of the remaining 10%, and this would mean OmniVision will be giving its wafer production line a boost of 40% between spring and summer in order to meet the demand.
OmniVision and Sony do own 8-megapixel, backside-illuminated cameras which come in handy in capturing great looking images even in low light conditions, and will most probably be interchangeable where Apple is concerned. Would be interesting to see whether their performance are alike, or will there be some sort of difference which you can tell from the naked eye alone.
If there is a summer production ramp up, then it would mean a September launch for the next generation iPhone ring truer than ever, never mind that it still remains as a rumor currently.
Next Story: Google censors pirates even more
- 2013-10-01 Gold iPhone 5 Stickers Apparently A Hot Ticket Item In China
- 2013-09-29 iPhone 5s Paint Peeling Off Issue Reported
- 2013-09-26 iPhone 5S $24 Upgrade Kit Turns Your iPhone 5 Into The Latest iPhone... Sort Of
- 2013-09-16 iPhone 5 Sticky Notes Now A Reality Thanks to Paperback
- 2013-09-13 The PocketPlug Is An iPhone Case With A Built-In Charger
- 2011-02-16 8-megapixel OmniVision OV8830 sensor could be for the next-generation iPhone camera
- 2011-01-10 OmniVision OV10810 CMOS image sensor shoots 10MP photos
- 2010-12-27 Sony to double production of image sensors
- 2010-04-07 Samsung New S5K6A1 and S5K5B3 CMOS High Performance HD Sensors
- 2010-11-09 OmniVision Prepares 8-megapixel CMOS Sensor That Might Be Used For Future iPhone