We do know that the Nintendo Wii U which was recently announced at E3 2011 will be able to play back discs of up to 25GB in content, leading some to speculate that it might just be the Blu-ray disc format that Nintendo will be supporting – that will come as a surprise actually, since most folks know that Nintendo tends to keep to their own proprietary format when it comes to video games. Well, guess the Blu-ray bubble for the Wii U has burst, as Nintendo president Satoru Iwata touts that their upcoming gaming console will be unable to play back either Blu-ray (sucks) or DVD (sucks even more, considering your vast back catalogue of movies) no thanks in part to patent licensing fees.
Guess it is now official that the Wii U does not have DVD or Blu-ray playback capabilities, then again, it should not come as a shocker or a turn off since most folks out there would probably already own devices that are capable of playing DVDs as well as Blu-rays (PS3 owners, you hear me?).
What do you think of that? Is that a deal breaker for you if Blu-ray or DVD playback had been on your list as part of the package?RELATED
- R4iSDHC Gets Updated Website
- 'Waiting In Line 3D' Brings The Boredom Of Waiting In Line To Your Computer
- Super Smash Bros. Adds Zelda: Majora's Mask's Skull Kid As An Assist Trophy
- Ultra Street Fighter 4 Headed To Xbox 360, PS3 June 2014
- Fallout 4 Teaser Website Reveals New Message; Counting Down To Dec. 11
- Follow: nintendo, nintendo wii u, wii u,
- Seen at: kotaku