For those who started gaming later on, it might seem as though it has been time immemorial since AMD and NVIDIA started slugging it out (with the former under the guise of ATI, of course) when it comes to conquering the GPU scene. Well, the position for top dog position in this area has been traded between them over the course of time, but at the moment, it might be said that AMD holds the upper hand with their latest mobile GPU release – the Radeon HD 6990M. The Radeon HD 6990M was developed as a direct response to NVIDIA’s Geforce GTX 580M under the mobile enthusiast GPU category.
For those who love technical details, the Radeon HD 6990M will sport 1,120 stream processors, 56 texture units and 2GB GDDR5 memory that works with a 256-bit memory interface. It also sports reference clocks of 715MHz for the GPU and 3600MHz for memory, now how about that for performance?
Apart from that, the Radeon HD 6990M is also touted to support Microsoft DirectX 11 and Stereo 3D in addition to a CrossfireX configuration – making us wonder just what kind of performance that future gaming notebooks which utilize this GPU are able to deliver. Are you stoked yet?
Next Story: LED TV coat is mesmerizing
- 2013-09-25: AMD Radeon R9 And R7 Graphics Cards Revealed
- 2013-06-11: 5GHz AMD Chip Is First Commercially Available CPU
- 2013-06-05: AMD Now Adopts Android And Chrome OS
- 2013-05-23: AMD Exec Believes Hybrid Devices Are The Future
- 2013-05-15: Radeon HD 8970M Is AMD's Fastest Mobile GPU
- 2013-03-21: AMD Radeon HD 7790 Strengthens AMD's Mid-Range Offering
- 2012-03-05: AMD Radeon HD 7870 and 7850 GPUs Launched
- 2011-12-05: Mac OS X 10.7.3 beta drivers point towards possible Mac Pro refresh
- 2010-08-16: AMD Radeon HD 6000 Series might be out this November