For those who have been using Picasa and Blogger all this while, it is time you kiss those familiar names goodbye. In a Mashable exclusive, they claim that Google will be retiring both names, but not the service. That ought to have you stop sweating for the moment. Instead, the Internet search giant will be renaming them as Google products down the road. The whole exercise is meant to unify its brand in time for a public release of Google+, which is Google’s social network.
Blogger and Picasa are still Google’s two most popular services, and we have learned that Picasa will soon be known as “Google Photos”, while Blogger will end up as “Google Blogs.” No idea on whether other Google brands will be affected to such an extent, but YouTube is safe for now. After all, don’t play with fire, and the YouTube name is enough to work for itself without the help of Google.
Do you think existing customers will be upset with the rebranding exercise? Perhaps, but then again a rose by any other name would smell just as sweet. Google has not issued any comments to date though.
- 2014-04-16: Google Offering $100,000 For Best Project Ara Module
- 2014-04-16: Possible Redesigned Google+ App For Android Spotted
- 2014-04-16: Google Develops Algorithm That Can Decipher Its Own CAPTCHAs
- 2014-04-16: Google Launches Standalone Camera App For Android
- 2014-04-16: Chrome Remote Desktop Hits Mobile Devices
- 2013-06-13: Google Blogger For Android Updated
- 2013-04-18: Google+ Comments Can Now Be Added To Blogger Based Websites
- 2012-05-25: Blogger updates signup process
- 2012-04-04: Google introduces +1 and Google+ widgets to its Blogger platform
- 2011-09-27: Blogger's new Dynamic Views is hip and fresh