For those who travel frequently on airplanes, you may have realized that airport security is starting to get tighter, and while some of the practices conducted by airport security personnel may be questionable, the fact of the matter is that security is extremely important. Now it appears that starting from September, passengers who go through London’s Heathrow airport terminals one and five will have their faces scanned before they board their planes.
Customers will first have to be enrolled into the facial recognition system, with the biometrics then linked to their boarding pass on entry to the common user lounges in the terminals. They will then be verified against their previous enrolment before being allowed to board the plane. Apparently this is to prevent cases where international flight passengers swap tickets with domestic passengers in the lounge.
With a reported average verification time of 4.7 seconds, apparently this new feature will allow passengers to go through the ticket presentation process a lot faster. We’re guessing that it could also be used for security purposes, for example linking up to the police database, whereby faces spotted that have been flagged in the police database will send an alert to airport security who can then proceed to take the appropriate action necessary.
Next Story: Libratone Live and Lounge AirPlay speakers
- 2013-06-23 Glasses That Stop Google Glass Facial Recognition Created
- 2013-06-02 No Google Glass Facial Recognition App Will Be Approved At This Time
- 2013-05-14 Google Glass Gets Its First Facial Recognition Application
- 2013-03-06 Facial Recognition Software Resulted In Over 2,500 Arrests
- 2013-01-20 Facial Recognition Thwarted With New Glasses
- 2011-08-09 Facial recognition to identify looters in London riots
- 2011-07-20 New software removes "naked" body scans (airport security)
- 2011-01-31 London airport recruits holograms to make announcements
- 2009-12-17 Lockface Protects Your USB Drive Via Facial Recognition
- 2010-10-19 New Scanning Device Can Spot Shoe Bomb In Seconds