We all know that HTC is working on releasing unlocked bootloaders since May this year, but very little else is known about their efforts since then. Nice to know that HTC has finally issued an updated statement on the situation, promising that they will start rolling out unlocked bootloaders to a bunch of select smartphones from August onwards, starting off with the global HTC Sensation, with the HTC Sensation 4G on T-Mobile and the HTC EVO 3D on Sprint. Here’s what they have to say about it.
We’re thrilled to announce today that software updates to support bootloader unlocking will begin rolling out in August for the global HTC Sensation, followed by the HTC Sensation 4G on T-Mobile USA and the HTC EVO 3D on Sprint. We’re in the testing phase for the unlocking capability now, and we expect it to be fully operational by early September for devices that have received the software updates. We’ll continue rolling out the unlocking capability over time to other devices as part of maintenance releases and new shipments.
HTC continues its commitment to unlocking bootloaders and supporting the developer community. Because of the importance of this community to us, please expect an update on this about every few weeks as we make progress toward launch. Thank you for your patience and continued support!
If only HTC could be more specific as to the kind of smartphones that will receive such capabilities in addition to a more concrete release date.
- 2014-04-15: Galaxy S5 Versus HTC One M8, iPhone 5s, Nexus 5 In Torture Test
- 2014-04-15: Sense 6 Gets Ported Onto Nexus 5
- 2014-04-14: Sense 6.0 Arriving On HTC One By End Of May
- 2014-04-08: HTC One Review (M8)
- 2014-04-08: HTC M8 Ace Leaked
- 2012-07-16: HTC EVO 3D and EVO Design 4G getting Ice Cream Sandwich by early August
- 2012-05-15: CyanogenMod 9 nightlies now available for the HTC Sensation and T-Mobile Sensation 4G
- 2011-08-04: HTC Sensation could have touchscreen issues
- 2011-06-28: HTC hard at work on EVO 3D bootloader unlock
- 2011-06-01: HTC Sensation 4G arriving on T-Mobile this month