We had initially thought that the hacker group LulzSec had decided to hang up their hats and call it a day, as they had publically announced they would do so via their Twitter account. Well it looks like they might be back for just one last hack and this time their target was none other than Rupert Murdoch’s “The Sun” news publication.
The attack started off by redirecting traffic from The Sun’s website to the group’s Twitter account, and it was even suggested that the group managed to get their hands on incriminating information from The Sun’s email accounts, although that remains to be verified.
The next phase involved planting a mirror story, which claimed that the Australian Media Mogul, Ruport Murdoch, had apparently died of a drug overdose. We have to give it to them as the way the article was written seemed pretty legit and rather convincing due to the tone and language that they had adopted to write it.
“Rupert Murdoch, the controversial media mogul, has reportedly been found dead in his garden, police announce.
Murdoch, aged 80, has said to have ingested a large quantity of palladium before stumbling into his famous topiary garden late last night, passing out in the early hours of the morning.”
We can’t say for sure what the reason was behind LulzSec’s attack on The Sun’s website. Perhaps it was just to cause chaos, although with the current controversy and scandal surrounding how one of Murdoch’s publications, The News of the World, is being accused of hacking into the phones of murder victims, maybe the group decided they did not like what the news publication had done and decided to send a message.
- 2013-10-27: 12 Year Old Anonymous Hacker Pleads Guilty, Was In It For Video Games
- 2012-09-10: GoDaddy Attacked, Millions Of Sites Down
- 2012-03-06: LulzSec top dog works for FBI now, is a turncoat
- 2011-08-09: AnonPlus gets defaced again, this time by Syrian hackers
- 2011-08-07: #Antisec hackers release 10GB of law enforcement data
- 2011-07-28: LulzSec spokesperson Topiary arrested (Update)
- 2011-07-27: Hacker claims he took down the websites of Anonymous and LulzSec
- 2011-06-21: LulzSec Ringleader Arrested In Essex?
- 2011-06-21: Elite UK Police Agency Hit By LulzSec