The One Laptop Per Child (OLPC) program is not quite done with their XO laptop project just yet, and while we know that the XO-3 tablet will be delayed because of the desire to include a superior display into the final product, here is more news on the upcoming XO-3 tablet – it might just come with solar charging capability in addition to satellite Internet connectivity. Just where will OLPC place the solar panels? Perhaps via the rubber covers that also double up as some form of protection, at least that is what Nicholas Negroponte, founder and chairman of One Laptop Per Child says.
A couple of years after being announced, the XO-3 is said to roll out early next year – although an earlier date is not out of the question. While there is no word on pricing, Negroponte is very happy (and so are we) to announce that it will be kept under the $100 price point.
- 2013-01-08 OLPC XO-4 Arriving This March
- 2012-12-03 XO-3 Tablet Shelved, XO-4 In The Pipeline
- 2012-10-31 OLPCs hacked by Ethiopian kids on their own in 5 months
- 2012-01-07 One Laptop Per Child XO 3.0 tablet to be showcased at CES 2012
- 2011-11-03 OLPC uses helicopters to drops tablets in isolated villages