The Toughbook H2 is a rugged Windows tablet and the successor of the Toughbook H1. To design this new product, Panasonic gathered customer feedback, and a more powerful processor was the main request from users, mainly to allow better multitasking.
The H2 gets an Intel Core i5-2557M vPro, an Ultra Low Voltage CPU running at 1.7Ghz (with Turbo Boost up to 2.7GHz), to replace the Atom Z540, which is much more powerful while still providing good power efficiency. According to Panasonic, it makes the Toughbook H2 five times faster than the previous model and provides 6.5 hours of battery life, and despite the 2 twin hot-swappable batteries, it weighs only 3.5 lbs (3.25 lbs with only one battery).
The device now offers 4GB RAM, expandable to 8GB, a 320GB 7200rpm hard drive, (128GB solid state drive optional), and a new 10.1” dual touch display that features Panasonic’s TransflectivePlus display technology, which can generate up to 6000 nit of transflective brightness, in addition to a circular polarizer, plus anti-glare and anti-reflective screen treatments for a better viewing experience in direct sunlight.
Similarly to the H1, the Toughbook H2 is IP65 certified and MIL-STD-810G tested (6 foot drop), it is designed for all-weather conditions, certified for vehicle use, and fully sealed (no fan) which reduces the risk of contamination of potentially pathogenic microorganisms, and it can be sanitized with the most common products used in the healthcare industry (check the exact list – pending approval).
The H2 gets WiFi connectivity, Bluetooth and optional Qualcomm Gobi2000 mobile broadband technology allowing multi carriers connectivity, and it is certified on the AT&T, Sprint and Verizon Wireless 3G networks. Additionally it embeds 4G support.
The Panasonic Toughbook H2 will be available worldwide in July 2011, for an estimated price of $3,449 in the US.
Panasonic Toughbook H2 Features
- Genuine Windows 7 (32-bit or 64-bit)
- Intel i5‐2557M vPro™ processor (1.7GHz)
- 4-8GB RAM
- 320GB (7200rpm) shock-mounted HHD or optional 128GB SSD
- 10.1” XGA sunlight-viewable dual touch LCD
- TransflectivePlus technology (up to 6000 nit)
- Circular polarizer with anti-glare and anti-reflective screen treatments
- 6.5 hour battery life
- Twin hot-swappable batteries
- 3.5 lbs (with both batteries)
- 10.8” (L) x 10.6” (W) x 2.3” (H)
- MIL-STD-810G certified (6 foot drop)
- Magnesium alloy chassis – encased in polycarbonate
- IP65 certified sealed all-weather design
- Wide operating temperature range (-14F ~ 122F)
- Embedded Connectivity
- Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n
- Bluetooth v2.1 + EDR (Class 1)
- Optional 4G mobile broadband (Fall 2011)
- Optional Gobi2000 3G mobile broadband
- Integrated Options
- Global positioning system (GPS) receiver
- Barcode reader
- 2MP auto-focus camera with LED light
- RFID reader
- True serial
- USB x 2
- Optional Security Features
- Fingerprint reader
- Contactless SmartCard reader
- Insertable SmartCard reader – configurable for Common Access Card (CAC) use
Next Story: Apple sues HTC again