If there’s one feature that the Android platform has over iOS is that they have Swype, which makes typing out emails, text messages and documents insanely fast, plus it sort of makes having a touch screen more meaningful. iOS users may have had their hopes raised last year in June when Swype’s CEO mentioned that they would not mind seeing Swype featured on iOS devices, however a year has passed and still nothing.
The good news is that if you’re running on a jailbroken iOS device, developer Andrew Liu, who creates themes for jailbroken iOS devices, has released a version of Swype (or perhaps it’s a port, we can’t be sure, hence the quotation marks in the title) for both the iPhone and the iPad. It’s currently available in the Cydia repository although at the moment it’s rather bareboned.
Some features that Android users have been used to, such as the blue line that is drawn from letter to letter, has not made its way to the iOS version yet. The app apparently only works on native iOS apps (Messages, Notes, etc), which means that if you try to use it on third-party apps, it’s pretty much a hit-and-miss scenario. As it is the first release, users can expect the app to be rather buggy, but we’re guessing this should improve over time as the kinks get worked out.
Check out the video demonstration below, which shows Swype for iOS in action, and also reveals some of the glitches that the developer has yet to iron out.
Next Story: Motorola LTE tablet meets up with the FCC
- 2014-04-16: Yahoo Wants To Become iOS' Default Search
- 2014-04-16: Apple's App Store Revenue In China Grew By 70%
- 2014-04-10: Age Of Empires: World Domination Greets iOS, Android And Windows Phone Platforms This Year
- 2014-04-10: Apple's iOS, OS X, And "Key Web-Based Services" Not Affected By Heartbleed Flaw
- 2014-04-07: Quitting iOS Apps Might Actually Cause Battery Drain, According To Former Apple Genius
- 2013-05-24: Verizon Cloud Offers 500MB Of Free Storage To iOS, Some Android Devices
- 2013-05-17: Temple Run Franchise Surpasses 300M Downloads; Temple Run 2 Update Incoming
- 2013-05-15: Time Warner Streaming TNT, TBS On Multiple Devices Starting This Summer
- 2013-05-10: Zynga's Endless Runner 'Running With Friends' Now Available On iOS
- 2013-04-26: Smart Pajamas Use Dots To Read Bedtime Stories On Your iOS, Android Devices