Remember the ASUS Padfone that was officially announced in May? Since then, there hasn’t been any sign or news of the device – until now. Alex Sun, head of ASUS’ Personal Mobile Device department, has stated that the hybrid ASUS Padfone will be arriving with Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich hence the delay of the phone/tablet. Ice Cream Sandwich is said the version of Android that is said to solve fragmentation issues and will also be the OS that runs on both tablets at smartphones – which is pretty important in the Padfone’s case since it is a tablet/smartphone hybrid.
If that’s the case, it looks like it’s going to be a long wait, because according to previous reports about Ice Cream Sandwich (if it turns out to be true) – it’s nowhere near completion in its current state. Which means that the device could possibly be delayed until next year. Hopefully its hardware won’t be outdated by then.
- 2014-04-10: ASUS Transformer Book T100 Receives CPU Upgrade
- 2014-04-09: PC Shipments See 4.4% YOY Decline, According To IDC
- 2014-03-27: AT&T Details ASUS PadFone X Specifications
- 2014-03-24: ASUS ZenFone 6, 5, And 4 To Be Released In April
- 2014-03-23: ASUS PadFone X Spotted At The FCC
- 2012-01-09: ASUS Padfone shown off on video
- 2011-12-05: ASUS Padfone to come shipped with NVIDIA's Tegra 3 instead
- 2011-11-30: ASUS Eee Pad MeMo 7" Ice Cream Sandwich to arrive in January?
- 2011-11-21: ASUS Padfone Specs spotted on GLBenchmarks
- 2011-05-31: ASUS officially launches the Padfone