You have probably read to the death about electric cars, but what about the two-wheeled brethren known as motorcycles? That is what we’re looking at with the BRD RedShift MX electric motorcycle which is touted to deliver a performance equal to that of a 250cc dirt bike.
The RedShift MX motocrosser and RedShift SM supermoto are the maiden models to roll off BRD – a San Francisco startup that came about thanks to guys who love riding, and realized they might as well make money while they’re at it, delivering faster motorcycles. After all, isn’t it better to have someone who knows what motorcyclists want to be behind the drawing board?
The BRD RedShift MX sports 40 horsepower and will tip the scales at around 240 pounds without any lights, placing it just about on par with the KTM 250 SX-F. There is a 5.2 kilowatt-hour battery pack inside, giving it up to 20 miles each. Range-wise, 5.2 kilowatt-hours is more or less the standard for around 50 miles of commute-style riding, but if you want to open up the throttle, then expect the mileage to drop.
- 2013-10-17: This Motorcycle Helmet Features A Rearview Camera, Turn-By-Turn Directions
- 2013-08-19: Stuart Gunn Is World’s Fastest Blind And Disabled Biker With 167.1mph Record
- 2013-06-30: Lightning Electric Motorcycle Comes Up Tops Against Gas-Powered Bikes
- 2013-05-16: German Mechanic Builds Motorcycle With Airplane Engine
- 2013-02-21: Five-O Takes The Electric Motorcycle Route
- 2013-02-14: TomTom Rider, A Motorcycle GPS Guidance System
- 2011-11-10: Energica electric motorcycle looks really mean
- 2009-05-06: Solar Flyer Electric Bike