Counter-Strike might seem like an old school game when put up against games like Battlefield and Call of Duty, but until today it has a cult following of players that still play the game like it was the year 2000. And for those players, we’ve got some good news for you. It has been confirmed on the Steam forums that there’s a new Counter-Strike on the way, and it’s going to be called Counter-Strike: Global Offensive.
While it has yet to be officially confirmed, quite a lot of details about the upcoming game have been revealed. And now, on the ESEA Facebook page, “Counter-Strike: Global Offensive… More info in the morning.” So it looks like we’ll be updated later today, stay tuned and we’ll keep you posted.
Here are the features of CS:GO that we know so far from counterstrikego.com:
- Planned release in Q1 2012
- Matchmaking system
- Focus on 5v5 competitive play
- Both Defuse (de_) and Hostage (cs_) map types confirmed!
- Competitive and Casual modes
- Ranked / ladder play for individuals and teams
- Dedicated servers
- Gameplay has elements similar to both CS:S and CS 1.6
- Classic maps (with both minor and major modifications) include: Dust2, Dust, Aztec, Inferno, Nuke, Train
- Molotov grenade: creates area of fire that slows players crossing through it
- Decoy grenade: emits fake weapon firing sounds to confuse enemies about your position
- Bullets penetrate some walls and objects like CS 1.6
- Many changes to weapons, as well as new weapons
- Classic gameplay: no ironsights
- Beta in September or October (Unconfirmed)
Sounds pretty exciting, especially for those of you looking for some old-school FPS (no ironsights!) or for those of you who didn’t manage to catch on to CS fever many years ago, it looks like you’ll have the opportunity to do so.
Update (10.57AM PT): Yeap, the game has been officially confirmed by Valve themselves, complete with a product page on Steam. Get ready for a new Counter-Strike in 2012.
Next Story: Acer Iconia Tab A100 released