We all know that HP won’t be making additional webOS devices in the future – but that doesn’t mean
that the TouchPad is dead. In fact, it’s far from it. According to a report by CNET – HP has been reported
as saying “HP is fully committed to the ongoing support and service of customers who purchased webOS
devices…We plan to continue to investigate the best ways to leverage WebOS software and grow the
HP has also mentioned that it plans to release another OTA update that will “enhance the platform and
add functionality and a growing applications catalog”. It wasn’t mentioned what the update will bring, or
when it will be released, but hey – it’s good to have something to look forward to right?
Assuming the company keeps its promise, TouchPad users shouldn’t have to worry about official support
for the tablet. I highly doubt that there will be many webOS developers left for the platform though
– since HP isn’t going to be manufacturing new TouchPad tablets, and companies like Microsoft are
drawing webOS developers in with freebies – it’s only going to be a matter of time before it all fizzles
out. But with projects like Android being ported over to the tablet, consumers can rest assured that
their tablet will have a life beyond webOS.
- 2014-04-09: PC Shipments See 4.4% YOY Decline, According To IDC
- 2014-04-07: HP Slate 8 Pro Business Tablet Arrives Silently
- 2014-04-07: HP Slate 7 Beats Special Edition Spotted On WiFi Alliance Website
- 2014-04-04: HP Slate 8 Pro 7650 Appears At The FCC
- 2014-03-20: HP 3D Printers Expected In June
- 2011-10-06: HP TouchPad Go clears the FCC, HP gearing for launch?
- 2011-09-19: Final batch of HP TouchPads to go to HP employees first
- 2011-08-25: White HP TouchPad spotted in the wild
- 2011-08-23: HP TouchPad to get document editing this week
- 2011-08-21: HP to refund money to TouchPad early adopters