A few days ago we reported that HTC had plans to launch a web tool that would allow users to unlock their HTC device’s bootloaders. This is probably HTC’s way of getting around the carriers who probably would not have allowed the unlocked bootloader update to pass through, but it comes with a price, which is to say that by using the web tool there’s a chance that you could void your device’s warranty. While the web tool has yet to be released, HTC has just opened up the doors to their HTCDev website.
The HTCDev website is currently aimed at those who are interested and who have the know-how when it comes to tinkering with their devices, and have provided their OpenSense SDK which includes SDKs for their Sense 3D interface along with the Scribe pen technology (the stylus that was designed for the HTC Flyer).
They have also provided the source code and binaries for a variety of devices, so developers reading this, you should probably head on down to the HTCDev website and check it out.
There’s even a page dedicated for Windows Phone 7 developers, which isn’t much at the moment but glad to know that HTC is acknowledging that particular developer base, although we suppose it’s natural given that they will be producing several WP7 Mango handsets in the future.
As for users who were hoping for the unlocked bootloader web tool, while it does not seem to be in sight at the moment, if this is indeed HTC’s one stop portal for all your tinkering needs, perhaps the web tool shouldn’t be too far off. Until then perhaps it’s not a bad idea to add the website to your bookmarks.
- 2014-04-22 HTC Droid DNA To Receive Android 4.4.2 KitKat And Sense 5.5 Update
- 2014-04-22 HTC Might Be Interested In Nokia's Chennai Factory
- 2014-04-21 HTC One M8 Mini Rumored For Verizon Release
- 2014-04-21 Samsung Galaxy S4 Outsold HTC One 4:1
- 2014-04-21 HTC Could Deliver Nexus 8 (Rumor)
- 2013-02-13 Apple Television SDK in May 2013? [Analyst]
- 2012-10-30 Windows Phone 8 SDK Released at BUILD
- 2011-11-22 HTC releases source code for the HTC Rezound
- 2011-10-21 Ice Cream Sandwich ported onto the Nexus One
- 2011-10-20 HTC will release Beats Audio API to developers