Great news for PlayStation 3 owners, Sony has just announced on the official PlayStation blog that it will be releasing a new version of the system software in the near future. The update will bring new features for all PlayStation users and some additional features for PlayStation Plus users. Everyone will get a recommendation feature in the PlayStation Store so they can share content with their friends, while a TV/Video Services section will be added to the XMB.
The Blu-ray 3D experience will also be improved, with the ability to support 3D when accessing Java-based special features on Blu-Ray and DTS-HD MA, DTS-HD HR decoding/bit stream output (or lossless audio) will also be supported while playing Blu-ray 3D movies. 3D digital photos in MPO format can also be viewed in 3D on the XMB and in the Photo Gallery app.
As for PlayStation Plus users, they’ll now get the ability to auto save their games and auto sync their Trophies. No word on when the update will be available, but Sony did mention it will be “available soon”. There will also be a minor PSP system software update (v 6.60) launching soon as well. You can check whether the PS3 update is available by heading to the support website.
- 2014-02-17: PS Plus TV Spot Introduced
- 2014-02-04: Sony PlayStation Gold Wireless Stereo Headset Unveiled
- 2014-02-03: PS4 Update 1.60: Headset Support, Gold Wireless Headset Coming “Soon”
- 2014-01-21: PlayStation 4 Error CE-34878-0 Being Investigated By Sony
- 2014-01-08: DualShock 3 A Requirement For PlayStation Now Gameplay On Smartphones And Tablets
- 2013-04-05: God of War: Ascension 1.0.4 Update Raises Level Cap, Spartan-Kicks Bugs
- 2011-03-18: PlayStation 3 version 3.6 firmware jailbroken
- 2011-02-04: The PlayStation 3 rootkit isn’t that new after all
- 2011-02-01: Sony PlayStation 3 update might give Sony backdoor access
- 2010-04-21: PS3 3.30 Mandatory System Update On Its Way To Prep Your Console For 3D Gaming