It seems as though the Kinect is not meant just for gaming purposes while making you sweat, as some of the smarter folks out there have managed to take the Kinect and “re-applied” it to other mechanical lifeforms – such as ZMP Inc. and their “RoboCar 1/10 Lite & Kinect”. This is basically a robot car that will sport the Kinect gesture controller.
Just what kind of role does the Kinect play here? Well, it will occupy the place of a range image sensor, where the robot car is intended to see action as part of research efforts involving autonomous mobile robots at academic institutions and business organizations.
The RoboCar’s main body will sport AMD’s Geode LX800 (operating frequency: 500MHz) processor and Linux as the operating system of choice. As Microsoft didn’t make allowance for the commercial use of “Kinect for Windows SDK beta,” this means ZMP is unable to sell the new robot car with the kit at the moment.
- 2014-03-24: Masked Animatronic Robot Dances In An Extremely Lifelike Manner
- 2014-01-06: KEECKER Connected Robot Unveiled
- 2013-12-12: Polycom RealPresence in the new Anybots Q(X) Virtual Presence
- 2013-09-05: “Superman” Robot Lifts 80 Times Its Own Weight
- 2013-06-16: Cat-like Robot Hails From Switzerland
- 2011-12-07: Body sharing robot lets you transcend space
- 2011-12-04: Flying robots construct 20-foot tower in France
- 2011-12-02: Quadcopter robots is a work in progress
- 2011-12-01: Guide robot at the Bucheon City Hall
- 2011-12-01: Dream Robo scales ladders in a jiffy