If you’ve been waiting for a Thunderbolt-capable external hard disk for your Mac – good news, because LaCie has announced that its Little Big Disk Thunderbolt Series is now available for purchase. The first in the series of portable hard disks that take full advantage of your Thunderbolt connection, the Little Big Disk Thunderbolt Series are designed for demanding tasks such as video editing, making quick full system backups and more.
The LaCie Little Big Disk Thunderbolt Series features two 2.5″ drives in a Mac OS RAID configuration, and depending on whether you opt to use SSDs or HDDs, read speeds can go up to 480MB/s. And because Thunderbolt allows the daisy chaining of these disks together, you can reach transfer rates of up to 800MB/s. The portable disks also feature a heat sink casing and quiet fan to ensure things don’t get too hot. The LaCie Little Big Disk Thunderbolt Series HDD models are available now at Apple Stores (prices start at $399 for 1TB), while the SSD versions will launch in October. Find out more.
Next Story: HP Stock Up 9% On CEO Dismissal Rumors
- 2014-03-28: WD's My Passport Pro Is A Portable Thunderbolt Hard Drive
- 2013-11-25: 4K Thunderbolt Displays Reportedly In The Works
- 2013-06-04: Intel Thunderbolt 2 To Succeed The Thunderbolt
- 2013-04-30: Belkin Thunderbolt Express Dock Now Available For $299
- 2013-04-08: Apple To Reveal New Mac Pro Revamp This Month
- 2012-02-15: LaCie 2big Thunderbolt hard drives now shipping
- 2011-07-19: LaCie Thunderbolt mix up
- 2011-07-17: LaCie delays Little Big Disk to later this year sans explanation
- 2011-01-04: Samsung announces USB 3.0 external hard disk drives
- 2010-12-17: Concept LaCie HDD Shows Added Usefulness by Adding Trackpad Surface