The phrase to “reinvent the wheel” has often been used in negative terms, usually to refer to the creation of something needless or pointless, but in the case of Ron Arad, that is what he has literally done with this bike design, which by all accounts looks like your typical bike with the exception being that the wheels are made out of steel.
Wheels made out of steel isn’t far fetched, especially if they’re circular in nature, but as you can see in the photo above, those wheels are anything but circular. They’re curved at various points and we guess you could say that it almost looks like a flower. If you think that it doesn’t ride, you’d be wrong.
It has been designed in such a way that the 18 individual strips of tempered steel have been pinned at various tension points to act as a single unit, and amazingly enough they managed to get the tempering and mixes of the steel just right on the first try without testing. We have no idea what it will be like to ride the bike, but if you’re a guest at the W Hotel in Leicester Square, you will be able to get the chance to try it out. This opportunity will last until the 29th of October at which point it will be put up for auction for the Elton John AIDS Foundation.RELATED
- Spike Away Vest Keeps You Safe From Cramped Commutes
- China Will Begin Building This Wavy Pedestrian Bridge In 2014
- Hitachi Ropits Self-Driving Vehicle
- Jaguar unveils speedboat concept to complement its XF Sportbrake
- Hoverbike designer now offering to build you a prototype for a price
- Follow: bicycle, london, uk,
- Seen at: fastcodesign