[CEATEC 2011] NTT Docomo is showcasing its experimental research in population statistics compiled using anonymous data collected from the Docomo mobile network. According to the information provided by the largest Japanese carrier, it is possible to count the number of mobile phones and then estimate the geographic distribution of a population, the process, called mobile spatial statistics, could be used to know the population distribution in an area, the gender and age repartition and the movements of people between areas.
Docomo is involved in two research projects in collaboration with Japanese universities that have shown how to use these statistics to estimate the population changes in particular areas, or how difficult it would be for some people from specific locations to return home during a disaster. The technology could be very useful for planning and for designing prevention measures.
NTT Docomo states that it has established strict procedures to ensure users privacy when collecting population via its infrastructure.RELATED
- Let Your Favorite Tunes Wake You Up With Pandora For iOS
- Motorola Unveils Holiday Boot Screen Animation For Moto X And Moto G
- Samsung Galaxy S4 Active Receives Snapdragon 800 Chipset
- Android 4.4.2 KitKat Starts To Appear On Different Nexus Devices (Unofficial)
- KitKat Devices Feature Android Menu Button By Default
- Follow: CEATEC, ceatec 2011, ntt docomo,