In late September, the Android 2.3 Gingerbread for the HTC Thunderbolt was released, finally bringing the 4G LTE phone on Verizon up to date with other Android phones out there. Thunderbolt owners jumped for joy, naturally – but all that excitement was quickly replaced with disappointment because while their phones were up to date, the Gingerbread update introduced a whole set of new bugs to the phone. These bugs included broken voicemail notifications, and Google Talk not working just to name a few.
The update was quickly pulled and since then we haven’t heard anything from HTC/Verizon about it. Well, all that might change soon according to a tweet from HTC’s main account:
“VZW & HTC anticipate the update being available soon. You will be notified directly on your device when it is ready to d’load”
Still no deadline for when it’s arriving, but at least Thunderbolt owners can take comfort in knowing that it’s going to be “available soon”. Let’s hope this soon doesn’t turn into months – Ice Cream Sandwich is just around the corner, and it would suck to still be on Froyo when everybody else is rocking the latest version of Android. Thunderbolt owners out there: are you still waiting for the official update or have you decided to flash a custom ROM on it instead?
- 2014-04-22: HTC Droid DNA To Receive Android 4.4.2 KitKat And Sense 5.5 Update
- 2014-04-22: HTC Might Be Interested In Nokia's Chennai Factory
- 2014-04-21: HTC One M8 Mini Rumored For Verizon Release
- 2014-04-21: Samsung Galaxy S4 Outsold HTC One 4:1
- 2014-04-21: HTC Could Deliver Nexus 8 (Rumor)
- 2011-09-30: HTC Thunderbolt Gingerbread update suspended temporarily
- 2011-08-31: HTC Thunderbolt and Droid Incredible to receive Gingerbread in September? (updated)
- 2011-08-17: New Android Gingerbread update for Thunderbolt leaked
- 2011-08-04: HTC Thunderbolt Gingerbread update to arrive this quarter?
- 2011-04-11: Gingerbread coming to ThunderBolt and EVO 4G