Bad news for Nintendo. It looks like its exclusivity to have Professor Layton all to itself on its Nintendo DS platform has ended. Level-5 (developers of the Layton games) has announced that it will be releasing a new game called Layton Brothers: Mystery Room for iOS devices. In case you weren’t familiar with the Professor Layton franchise, this previously exclusive to Nintendo series chronicles the adventures of Professor Layton and his young companion, Luke, as they go around solving mysteries in the form of brain teasers and puzzles.
It is one of the most successful series for the DS both critically and commercially, so to see it made available on other platforms could be a huge blow to Nintendo. But seeing how the games on the Nintendo DS were controlled using the touchscreen, a porting of the franchise seemed inevitable. The spinoff will be focused on Professor Layton’s own son, Alphendi, and a rookie cop, Lucy Creila.
Not much was revealed about the game, but judging by how all the previous Layton games were: expect a lot of mysteries to unravel and plot twists to keep things going. No word on a release date but you can check out the Japanese trailer of the game:
Next Story: T-Mobile Galaxy S2 source code released
- 2014-04-22 iTunes App Store Now Labels Apps With In-App Purchases
- 2014-04-22 Jailbroken iOS Devices Vulnerable To Apple ID And Password Stealing Malware
- 2014-04-21 Apple And Google Reportedly Vying For Mobile Game Exclusives
- 2014-04-20 Facebook Paper App For iOS Updated
- 2014-04-20 Beats Music Embraces In-App Subscriptions To Drive Subscriber Base
- 2013-05-16 iOS Game Spending Outpaces Nintendo 3DS, PS Vita In Q1 2013
- 2013-02-21 Consumers Spent More On Mobile Games Than Handheld Games Last Quarter
- 2011-11-09 Android and iOS dominate the portable game market
- 2011-07-06 Pokémon arriving on Android and iOS devices
- 2011-04-11 Apple rumored to have hired ex Nintendo and Activision PR staff