If you’re a fan of collecting souvenirs from events, performances or concerts, come the London 2012 Olympic games, you will be able to get your hands on a Samsung device which they’re touting to be an “iconic” Olympic phone. This will be in conjunction with Visa who will be providing the mobile payment services via NFC that will come with the phone.
No word on what the device will be named or its hardware specs, but considering that this phone will probably focus more on content and its Olympic status, safe to say we don’t expect a phone with hardware specs that will blow our mind. At the moment all that is known about the phone is that it will feature NFC capabilities, special Olympic content and will be made available throughout the world and not be limited to the UK market.
Not wanting to leave out current phones with NFC in them, Visa is reportedly working to make sure that whatever NFC features the Olympic phone will have access to, will similarly be available to other NFC phone users as well. Apparently this will have something to do with microSD card slots, but like we said, details remain uncertain for now, although we expect more details to surface over time as the London 2012 Olympic date gets closer.
- 2014-04-16: Samsung Exec Felt Jobs' Death Was 'Best Opportunity' To Attack iPhone
- 2014-04-16: AT&T Galaxy S4 Active Android 4.4 Update Released
- 2014-04-16: Samsung Android Wear Smartwatch Expected Later This Year
- 2014-04-16: Samsung Shows Off Curved Batteries Used In The Gear Fit
- 2014-04-16: High-End Samsung Tizen Device To Arrive By End Of Q2 2014
- 2013-08-18: Tizen NFC Features Shown Off On Video
- 2013-06-18: Samsung Launches NFC-Enabled Laser Printers
- 2013-05-17: Samsung Releases TecTiles 2 NFC Tags With Galaxy S4 Support For $15
- 2013-02-25: VISA, Samsung Announce Partnership Bringing payWave To Galaxy Devices
- 2011-03-31: Samsung and VISA work together on NFC mobile payments for 2012 Olympics in London