The next time you check out a vending machine or a refrigerator, you might be surprised to see that the see-through panels are more than just transparent – in fact, they have been equipped to be able to display all sorts of information for you, the dear customer. Both Samsung and AU Optronics did put on display their see-through displays at FPD International 2011, where the latter exhibited both see-through LCD and OLED displays, while Samsung and LG Display decided to take the route of see-through LCD displays instead. All three companies actually demonstrated their displays with real world applications so that we have a more concrete idea on how they will be implemented.
Take for instance, AUO’s 65″ and 6″ displays at 1,920 x 1,080 and 400 x 300 resolutions, respectively, these transparent areas do not have color filters so that the transmittance of the panel can be increased to 15% or more. The trade show saw the company demonstrate the LCD panel as the front of a vending machine.
Samsung’s exhibition of a 46″ 1,920 x 1,080-pixel LCD panel and a 22″ 1,366 x 768-pixel LCD panel also saw them being part of a refrigerator’s glass door as well as a see-through TV panel. Things are really going to end up being a whole lot sexier down the road, don’t you think so?RELATED
- Sony Adds NFC To Yuletide Cheer
- Eye-Fi Windows Desktop Receiver Does Away With Need For SD Card Reader
- Foxconn Reportedly Looking To Invest In Wearable Tech
- Microsoft Research: We're Not Working On A Smart Bra
- MIT’s 3D Motion Tracking System Gets “X-Ray” Vision
- Follow: auo, display, glass, LG, Samsung,
- Seen at: techon.nikkeibp.co.jp