Good news for Sony Ericsson Xperia users. Sony Ericsson’s Dutch Facebook page posted a status update saying that it will be upgrading 2011′s Xperia devices to the latest version of Android (Ice Cream Sandwich) when it’s finally released. The status update also mentioned that the Android 2.3.4 Gingerbread update will be rolling out to its entire 2011 Xperia smartphone portfolio in the meantime.
Since the whole fiasco with Éclair and Froyo on its Xperia devices last year, it looks like Sony Ericsson has really turned over a new leaf, ensuring that its Android phones remain up to date. No word on an official release date for the Ice Cream Sandwich update but seeing how Google hasn’t released the source code for the operating system yet, that was expected. Stay tuned and we’ll keep you posted.
- 2013-03-01: Sony Ericsson Windows Phone Jolie Prototype Arrives On eBay
- 2012-08-21: Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich for 2011 Xperia range
- 2012-07-13: Sony to maintain Sony Ericsson logo for a while more?
- 2012-06-04: Sony Ericsson "Julie" Windows Phone prototype spotted in video
- 2012-03-09: Sony Ericsson Windows Phone prototype up for grabs on eBay
- 2012-02-23: Ice Cream Sandwich beta ROM available for Sony Xperia phones
- 2011-11-28: Sony Ericsson Xperia phones: Ice Cream Sandwich by March 2012
- 2011-11-15: Sony Ericsson will upgrade 2011 Xperia portfolio to Ice Cream Sandwich
- 2011-09-08: Sony Ericsson: Current-gen Xperia phones to receive Android 4.0?