Despite Sony Ericsson’s plans to bring Android’s Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0 to their Xperia series of Android smartphones, it looks like there will be one Xperia device that will not be getting the update, and it is none other than the Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 device. It looks like the device that has faced numerous delays in receiving its promised Froyo and Gingerbread updates will not be seeing (or tasting?) the Ice Cream Sandwich, at least not in the official capacity.
This was discovered through a tweet by a SE user who was wondering if the company had any plans to bring the Xperia X10 up to Gingerbread 2.3.4 (latest build is Gingerbread 2.3.3), and in response to the tweet, SE replied by saying “there will be no more updates for the Xperia X10.” A quick recap for those who may not know the history of the Xperia X10 – it was shipped with Android Donut 1.6, which was then updated to Eclair 2.1 and after numerous delays it skipped Froyo 2.2 entirely and went straight to Gingerbread 2.3.
We guess it’s not really surprising that the device will not be getting further updates, especially since the device is nearly two years old, but then again not many people can afford to or have the luxury of changing their handsets every so often. However like we said earlier, even though updates may not be arriving in the official capacity, for enterprising users and developers will probably find a way around it (i.e. CyanogenMod for the X10 is being worked on).RELATED
- Samsung SM-N7505 Listing Spotted Online
- On Device: WhatsApp Overtakes Facebook, Is Leading Mobile Messaging Service Now
- Windows Phone 8 Users To Get Mega Cloud Storage Too
- PingPong: Simple, Interactive, Free Q&A App For Teachers
- XOLO Q500 Is Powered By Qualcomm's Snapdragon Chipset
- Follow: Android, gingerbread, ice cream sandwich 4.0, sony ericsson, update, xperia x10,
- Seen at: pocketnow