With Sony foraying into the tablet scene with the Tablet P and Tablet S offerings, we’re sure that some were probably wondering when they would start putting out their own phones. Granted that Sony Ericsson is a joint venture between Sony and Ericsson, it appears that Sony is close to closing a deal that would buy out Ericsson’s stake in their mobile phone joint venture.
This has yet to be officially announced although there were mentions dating back to 2009 that Sony was reportedly interested in buying out Ericsson, and if these new reports are to be believed, that could indeed be happening soon. According to people who are familiar with the matter, by buying out Ericsson, Sony would have full control and will be able integrate their smartphone business with the rest of their other products.
This integration has been evidenced recently, what with the Tablet P and Tablet S which are direct offerings from Sony, while the Sony Ericsson Xperia Play seems to have its roots in Sony’s PSP and Playstation gaming consoles, and even some Sony Ericsson phones are starting to see Sony’s Bravia technology being integrated into their displays. Both companies have naturally declined to comment at this point and no word on how much this deal could cost Sony, although some are saying that Ericsson’s stake is currently valued between $1.3 billion to $1.7 billion.
Next Story: Android malware can be controlled via blog posts
- 2014-04-14: Sony Xperia Z2 Pre-Orders Reopened In Europe
- 2014-04-11: Sony Vaio Fit 11A Recall Because Of Battery Overheating Risk
- 2014-04-11: Sony Unveils H1Z1, Upcoming Zombie MMO Title
- 2014-04-10: Sony A7s Priced In The UK At £2,500 Body-Only
- 2014-04-08: Improved PS Vita In Borderlands 2 Bundle Hits The US This May 6
- 2011-12-05: Sony Ericsson to drop "Ericsson" from name mid 2012, will focus on smartphones only
- 2011-10-27: Sony Ericsson is now just Sony
- 2011-07-15: Sony S1 and Sony S2 Preview (Android Tablets)
- 2010-09-28: Sony Ericsson LiveView 1.3-inch Android Accessory
- 2010-10-15: Sony Ericsson To Offer WP7 Devices In 2011