Microsoft released its Mango update for Windows Phone devices last week, and it looks like the company could already be gearing up to release the next big update for its mobile operating system. According to reports online, Microsoft Thailand’s Managing Director, Birathon Kasemsri Na Ayudhayay; the company is set to launch its “biggest consumer brand campaign” later this year and was quoted as saying: “[Microsoft] plans to collaborate with global phone makers Nokia, Samsung, HTC and LG to push its mobile OS to second in the smartphone market by 2015… It will introduce Windows Phone version 7.5 with Thai language support early next year.”
Seeing how Windows Phone 7.5 is Mango, and Mango lacks Thai language support, speculations are pointing towards the next Windows Phone update aka Tango as Windows Phone 7.5 with Thai support. It’s been previously reported that there will be two Tango updates – Tango1 and Tango2, with the first one designed to broaden the market with additional language support, and Tango2 for low-cost devices, as well as even more additional languages.
No specific date for when we’ll see Tango1, but early next year could mean as early as Q1 2012. In any case, let’s have Mango rolled out to all WP devices first, eh? We shouldn’t get a head of ourselves for now.
- 2014-04-15: WP 8.1 GDR2 Update Could Support 2K Displays And Snapdragon 805 [Rumor]
- 2014-04-14: Windows Phone 8.1 Preview Version Revealed
- 2014-04-14: Windows Phone 8.1 Developer Preview Could Be Released Today [Rumor]
- 2014-04-13: Microsoft Looks Into 3D Face Scanner Using Windows Phone Handset
- 2014-04-10: Age Of Empires: World Domination Greets iOS, Android And Windows Phone Platforms This Year
- 2011-11-30: AT&T Dell Venue Pro Mango update finally arrives
- 2011-11-09: HTC TITAN arrives on AT&T later this month
- 2011-11-08: Tango for Windows Phone now available [video chat]
- 2011-10-31: Official Windows Phone Facebook app updated for Mango
- 2011-09-16: Video calling demonstrated on the HTC TITAN