While most MMORPGs have been going the free-to-play route, Blizzard has held steadfast to its monthly subscription plan for its highly-acclaimed and 11 million subscribers-strong title: World of Warcraft. While Blizzard did give in a little earlier this year by letting gamers play the low-levels of WoW for free, it looks like it’s about to make another move that will keep people paying (and playing) for the MMO.
At BlizzCon today, the game company announced that it will be giving away Diablo 3 to its subscribers who decide to sign up for the World of Warcraft annual pass. That means signing up for a 12-month subscription commitment to World of Warcraft. In addition to getting Diablo 3 for free, annual pass subscribers will also get a Tyrael’s Charger WoW Flying Mount for all current and future characters (to be made available with patch 4.3), and a guaranteed spot in the beta test for the next WoW expansion set.
By getting players to sign up for the annual pass, Blizzard are pretty much guaranteed a lot of money from WoW for the upcoming year, and gamers get to play one of the most anticipated games in the world for free – pretty much a win-win situation, especially for people who were going to play WoW for the next 12 months regardless of the promotion.
The WoW Annual Pass with the Diablo 3 promotion is limited to folks who already have a registered copy of WoW on or before October 18th 2011, and will only be up for a limited period, so if you’re keen on signing up for it, be sure to act soon. Sign up or find out more about the WoW Annual Pass promotion.
Next Story: Google Voice back on the App Store
- 2014-04-09 Diablo 3 Nephalem Rifts Cleared In Under 4 Minutes
- 2014-04-03 Diablo 3: Reaper Of Souls Shifts 2.7 Million Copies So Far, Digital And Physical Versions Combined
- 2014-03-25 Blizzard Evaluating Diablo 3's Future After Reaper Of Souls Release
- 2014-03-25 Diablo 3: Reaper Of Souls Is Now Live
- 2014-03-24 Diablo 3 For Xbox One Confirmed To Be In The Works
- 2014-02-06 World Of Warcraft Sees Increase In Subscribers, Diablo 3 Sells 15 Million Copies
- 2012-08-02 Diablo 3 sold over 10 million copies, WoW subscriptions see decline
- 2011-11-25 Diablo 3 rune effects shown off in new videos
- 2011-11-23 Diablo III could be released 17th February 2012
- 2011-11-10 World of Warcraft: almost a million subscribers lost last quarter