Who says an almost six-year-old console can’t continue to sell well? The National Purchase Diary (NPD) Group recently provided the sales figures of video game consoles in the US for September this year and the Xbox 360 is on top of the charts. Apparently the Microsoft gaming console managed to sell 438,000 units during the month of September and held six of the top ten best-selling games of the month.
While Sony didn’t reveal its sales figures for the PlayStation 3 (it did mention a double-digit growth though with hardware sales increasing by 20% and software by 52%), Nintendo reported that the Wii sold 240,000 units in September, and the DS family (DS Lite, DSi, DSi XL and 3DS) sold 145,000 combined units.
It looks like Microsoft is on track to have the best-selling console of 2011 in the US – if sales of the Xbox 360 continues at this rate. With the Wii-U and PlayStation Vita on the horizon, it’ll be interesting to see how Microsoft is going to keep up with the competition.
Next Story: Microsoft welcomes Skype officially
- 2014-04-11: Titanfall For Xbox 360 Will Not Be Coming To Games On Demand
- 2014-04-07: GoPro Channel Xbox 360 App Release Tomorrow
- 2014-04-06: Xbox 360 Emulation On Xbox One Mulled
- 2014-04-06: Titanfall For Xbox 360 Will Be A "True Experience"
- 2014-04-04: Minecraft For Xbox 360 Crosses The 12 Million Copies Sold Mark
- 2013-12-16: Shoot Many Robots Free On Xbox 360 Through Games With Gold
- 2012-03-08: Xbox 360: still the best-selling console in the US
- 2012-02-09: Xbox 360 is still the best selling console in the US
- 2011-03-10: Kinect is the fastest selling consumer electronics device of all time
- 2010-09-10: Xbox 360 sits pretty at the top in US for August