It does seem as though video games have been making more money than movies these days in terms of “box office takings”, so to speak. Take for example, Activision’s Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, where it sent $400 million towards Activision’s coffers in not a week or over the weekend. In fact, it took just one day – a whole 24 hours. This is partly due to the fact that this title has the advantage of being the biggest launch of any game to date, and it also indicates that gamers’ appetites for this title has yet to wane despite being in its third iteration already. The success of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 is important as Activision has decided to change their strategy by rolling out fewer and yet better-quality titles each year.
If you want to know the number of copies sold in greater detail, you can refer to our previous post before the weekend. And just like its previous outings that smashed records, this is the third year in a row that the “Call of Duty” franchise also set a release-date record in terms of revenue. Were you one of those who contributed to this record breaking feat?
- 2014-04-04: Call Of Duty: Ghosts - Devastation Launch Screens Detail Predator
- 2014-03-31: Call Of Duty: Ghosts Devastation Gameplay Trailer Released
- 2014-03-26: Call Of Duty: Ghosts Gold Edition Spotted
- 2014-02-20: Call Of Duty: Ghosts Will Be Free To Play On Steam This Weekend
- 2014-02-12: Sledgehammer's Call Of Duty's Visuals To Be Huge Improvement Over Ghosts
- 2012-08-08: Modern Warfare 3 four day marathon results in Ohio teen's collapse
- 2012-07-25: Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 ad cannot be shown during daytime
- 2011-12-12: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 hit $1 billion sales in 16 days
- 2011-11-25: LEGO Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 trailer is awesome
- 2011-11-10: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 nearly 10 million copies sold on day one