It’s only been a week since DC Universe Online went free to play, but Sony Online Entertainment has reported that the DC comics-inspired MMORPG has already gained 1 million new players, with a 50/50 split between PC and PlayStation 3 gamers. DCUO joins the ranks of SOE’s other successful free to play games like Free Realms and Star Wars: Clone Wars Adventures.
While the concept of free to play is already appealing to a lot of users, the fact that this free game is based on the already popular DC Comics universe probably turns it into something that’s too good for most people to pass up. With World of Warcraft losing subscribers on the other side of the spectrum, does it mean that the free to play model is going to be the future of MMOs? How many of you signed up for a DCUO account over the past week?
- 2013-04-12: Free-To-Play Ridge Racer Driftopia Headed To PS3, PC In 2013
- 2013-02-26: Uncharted 3 Multiplayer Goes Free-To-Play Starting Today
- 2012-10-31: Kia and DC Entertainment reveal custom superhero inspired cars
- 2012-05-31: NetherRealm Announce DC Fighting Game and Trailer – Injustice: Gods Among Us
- 2011-11-30: EverQuest 2 going free to play
- 2011-11-16: DC Universe Online gets Game Update 6
- 2011-11-10: DC Universe Online gains 1 million new players in a week
- 2011-11-02: DC Universe Online now free to play
- 2011-09-19: DC Universe Online free to play in October