We all know what a closed ecosystem that Apple devices tend to have, which has its fair share of pros and cons, of course. Well, while it makes it harder to have viruses and other kinds of malware in the iOS ecosystem, that also means it is far more controlled, and as a developer, you only have a certain degree of leeway in your programs and apps. In order to gain access to the innards of the operating system, one is required to “jailbreak” the phone, which would also mean voiding the warranty on your device. Having said that, it has not stopped folks from doing so in the past, and you can bet your bottom dollar that it is something that will continue in the future. Well, unlocking the iPhone 4S is another matter, but thanks to iPhone Dev-Team star MuscleNerd who tweeted that a “promising 4S unlock” had been discovered, it might just make you sit up and be more interested.
Currently, the unlock functions only with the iPhone 4S and not its predecessor, which most probably means it will require a hardware-level exploit that in all probability, was overlooked during the construction and programming of the iPhone 4S. It would be interesting to see how Apple is going to patch this up in due time.
Next Story: Gift list from Ubergizmo: the Uber10!
- 2014-04-17 Trade-In Site Sees One Third Of Galaxy S5 Buyers Switching From iPhone
- 2013-09-13 The PocketPlug Is An iPhone Case With A Built-In Charger
- 2013-09-10 Apple iPhone 5 Discontinued, iPhone 4S Now Free On Contract
- 2013-09-08 Croatian Woman's iPhone 4S Reportedly Explodes On Bedside Table
- 2013-06-23 Walmart Slashes iPhone 5 And iPhone 4S Prices Permanently
- 2013-02-03 iPhone 4S Spontaneously Combusts, Claims Woman, Apple Turns A Blind Eye
- 2013-01-15 iPhone 5S To Begin Production In March; Launching In June/July [Rumor]
- 2012-07-05 iPhone 4S mod adds built-in wireless charging
- 2012-04-10 AT&T unlocks smartphones for servicemen
- 2012-03-05 iPhone 4S and China Mobile are best buddies again, SIM card issue fixed