Good news for fans of the Sony PlayStation 3 – sales of the console are starting to catch up with the Xbox 360. According to the company’s latest sales results, Sony has sold 56 million units of the PlayStation 3 globally – and just in case you were wondering, that’s 1.3 million short of Microsoft’s 57.3 million Xbox 360 sales. However, it’s worth noting that the PlayStation 3 launched about one year after the Xbox 360, while it only launched 16 months later in Europe. With Sony having difficulty breaking into the North American market with its PlayStation 3, most of the console’s sales have been from Japan and Europe.
Regardless whether Sony outsells Microsoft or vice-versa, both companies are in a head-to-head battle for second place: they aren’t anywhere close to reaching the 88.3 million Wii consoles that Nintendo has sold till date worldwide. Unless some sort of miracle happens, it’s unlikely that the Wii will be losing out to this generation of consoles. Any bets on who will be leading the race for the next generation consoles being sold by the three companies?
Next Story: Gmail app for iOS devices now official (updated)
- 2014-04-07: GoPro Channel Xbox 360 App Release Tomorrow
- 2014-04-06: Xbox 360 Emulation On Xbox One Mulled
- 2014-04-06: Titanfall For Xbox 360 Will Be A "True Experience"
- 2014-04-04: Minecraft For Xbox 360 Crosses The 12 Million Copies Sold Mark
- 2014-03-26: Minecraft TU14 Update Arrives On Xbox 360 Today, PS3 Tomorrow
- 2013-06-03: Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo Expected To Announce Price Cuts At E3 [Analyst]
- 2013-05-01: Call of Duty: Ghosts Officially Announced To Be Released On November 5
- 2013-04-12: Rayman Legends Delay Resulted In 30 New Levels, New Boss Battles
- 2013-04-09: Batman: Arkham Origins Coming October 25 For PC, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii U
- 2011-04-08: Sony: Nintendo 3DS is for kids, Xbox 360's DVDs not enough