According to a new report by Digitimes, it seems that Apple may be gearing up for production of the iPad 3 as display manufacturers Samsung and Sharp have already started ship the display panels required for the tablet. No word on what happened to Apple’s other display manufacturers LG Display and Chimei Innolux, but for now it appears that only Samsung and Sharp are in the picture.
The iPad 3 is expected to make its debut in Q1 of 2012, much like its predecessors who have been launched around the same time. Assuming there are no hiccups with the iPad 3, there’s no reason why Apple will be putting their yearly refresh on hold. Could it be that this is why production of the iPad 2 has been cut back due to the production of the iPad 3?
Either way, if these rumors are to be believed, it looks like the production of the iPad 3 has started. However for those new to the Apple rumor mill, the Cupertino-based company is notorious for keeping their secrets, and that rumors about Apple products are generally a hit and miss scenario, so we suggest that you should take this latest piece of rumor with a grain of salt for now.
- 2014-04-14: Samsung Galaxy K Could Be Announced On 29th April
- 2014-04-13: Samsung Galaxy S5 Zoom (K Zoom) Hits The FCC
- 2014-04-13: Samsung Galaxy S5 Active Has 277 Apps Already (Rumor)
- 2014-04-13: Galaxy S5 Launch Day Sales Beat Galaxy S4 [Report]
- 2014-04-13: Android 4.4 For Galaxy S3 And Galaxy Note 2 Still On The Cards
- 2013-06-24: Qualcomm's $120 Million Investment In Sharp Completed
- 2013-05-15: Sharp And Samsung Enter Into A Strategic Alliance
- 2013-03-06: Samsung Invests $111.6 million Into Sharp
- 2012-06-29: Apple To Shift Half of iPad Display Sourcing to Sharp. Samsung May Be Hit [Rumor]
- 2012-02-09: Sharp display panel for iPad 3 spotted?