Vimeo is launching Vimeo Perks, a discount program that offers discount ranging from 5% to 25% on select products from a number of partners like B&H, which is offering a dozen packages of products at discounted prices for the launch. Vimeo told me that it is not making money from these deals, and that it came up with the Perks to bring more value to its users.The idea is good: users who can access Vimeo Perks are already paying customers (Vimeo Pro or vimeo Plus), so they don’t have anything to lose. I can imagine that Vimeo’s retail partners will find a very targeted audience of active content producers (who may be repeat customers), so instead of paying for generic advertising, they can spend that money in discounts. Finally, Video gets happy customers, so the circle is complete.
Vimeo Pro and Vimeo Plus users can access the perks, and the success of this new “feature” will largely depend on the quality of the deals that are offered. If you’ve never heard of Vimeo before, it is a video sharing service that also offers free video sharing within certain limits. [via Vimeo]
- 2013-05-21: Vimeo And Flickr Integration In iOS 7 Rumored
- 2012-11-13: Vimeo launches pay-to-view beta together with 6 new movies
- 2012-06-03: Vimeo unveils Enhancer for better videos
- 2012-02-03: Vimeo app now on Windows Phone
- 2011-11-18: Motorola shareholders vote in favor of "Googorola" deal
- 2011-11-01: Vimeo Perks Offers Discounts for Paying Users