It looks like Bill Gates, the co-founder of Microsoft, has got a project up his sleeves. The billionaire recently confirmed that he is currently in discussions with China to jointly develop a new and safer kind of nuclear reactor. Bill Gates had previously funded TerraPower, a company that is developing a Generation IV nuclear reactor that can run on depleted uranium. Because the reactors run on depleted uranium, they produce significantly smaller amounts of nuclear waste than conventional reactors.
This would make the reactors much safer than what is currently being used now. In fact, the reactors will be so safe that they will “require no human action to remain safe at all times.” I’m not sure if that’s such a great idea but a safe reactor can work as promised, then I’m all for it. No word on when we’ll start seeing these reactors being built, and it’s good to see Bill Gates and his foundation still working to help rid the world of poverty.
- 2014-04-16: Apple's App Store Revenue In China Grew By 70%
- 2014-04-08: China's Ministry Of Commerce Gives Microsoft-Nokia Deal The Greenlight
- 2014-04-04: iPhone Demand In China Waning In Face Of Local Competition
- 2014-03-26: Octa-Core HTC Desire 616 Photo Revealed
- 2014-03-21: Trip To China: Smog Insurance Now Available