If you wonder why Activision churns out a new Call of Duty game each year, today’s announcement will shed some light. The company announced in a press release today that Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 has crossed the $1 billion mark in sales since its launch on November 8th 2011m and it only took 16 days to achieve it. While it’s not really fair to compare box office sales against game purchases – Activision mentioned that it beat the record that Avatar (James Cameron’s film) set in 2009; the movie made $1 billion in 17 days.
Apparently the Call of Duty community also exceeds the combined populations of the cities of New York, Tokyo, Paris and Madrid. Talk about a lot of Call of Duty players! With supposedly no signs of sales slowing down, it looks like Activision won’t be pulling the plug on this cash cow anytime soon. Expect a new Call of Duty game next year, the year after that, and the year after that. I wonder how long the next game will take to achieve the same milestones?
- 2014-04-15: Snoop Dogg Featured In Call Of Duty: Ghosts' Voice Pack
- 2014-04-04: Call Of Duty: Ghosts - Devastation Launch Screens Detail Predator
- 2014-03-31: Call Of Duty: Ghosts Devastation Gameplay Trailer Released
- 2014-03-26: Call Of Duty: Ghosts Gold Edition Spotted
- 2014-02-20: Call Of Duty: Ghosts Will Be Free To Play On Steam This Weekend
- 2012-02-29: Modern Warfare 3 content collection #1 arrives on Xbox March 20th
- 2012-02-28: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 first DLC now available for PlayStation 3
- 2012-02-15: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 new DLC arriving next week
- 2012-02-07: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 second DLC announced
- 2011-11-10: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 nearly 10 million copies sold on day one