The HP TouchPad has been selling like hotcakes and its heavily discounted price of $99 is probably the main reason behind that. Despite the fact that HP may or may not kill off webOS, $99 for a tablet with the potential to run CyanogenMod on it as an Android tablet is a pretty tempting offer. The good news for those who may have missed out on HP’s earlier two fire sales is that the HP TouchPad is going on sale yet again come 11th of December.
This is according to a leaked internal email HP sent to their employees. The sale will take place on eBay via HP’s eBay store 6pm Central Time. The initial sales will be exclusive to HP employees only, and whatever’s left will be made available for the general public. The pricing remains the same – $99 for the 16GB model and $149 for the 32GB model, which the major catch being that these remaining units will be refurbished models, which may or may not matter to some of you guys.
Payment method appears to be PayPal only and will be limited to two per customer. They will only be available via HP’s eBay store, so don’t go about asking your local retailer if they have any TouchPads in stock. It seems the reason behind this “final” sale is because HP wants more opinion on the webOS platform before making the decision as to whether they should axe the platform once and for all.
- 2014-04-09: PC Shipments See 4.4% YOY Decline, According To IDC
- 2014-04-07: HP Slate 8 Pro Business Tablet Arrives Silently
- 2014-04-07: HP Slate 7 Beats Special Edition Spotted On WiFi Alliance Website
- 2014-04-04: HP Slate 8 Pro 7650 Appears At The FCC
- 2014-03-20: HP 3D Printers Expected In June
- 2011-12-07: HP TouchPad Go spotted on eBay
- 2011-11-08: HP TouchPad will be sold to developers for $149.99
- 2011-06-29: Palm Pre and Pixi owners receive $50 mail-in rebate on $599 HP TouchPad
- 2011-04-29: HP Veer spotted in white
- 2011-04-13: webOS 3.0 given an in-depth preview