Klip is a mobile video sharing application that launched a couple months ago, it allows to record, share, discover and play mobile videos. Just like in Instagram, you capture a video or select one from the Camera roll, add a comment and share it with the Klip community, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube or via email. The new 2.0 version launched yesterday offers a number of new features including the ability to share “Klips” via SMS and iMessage.
The main addition is the recommendation engine that can be accessed by tapping on the “suggested” tab on the top navigation bar (see video demo). In the application, you can discover videos using hashtags to filter by topic: once you have selected a hashtag from the suggested topics, it will appear as a tab in the top navigation bar, and only videos containing that hashtag will be available from that section. You can also follow other klippers, videos from followed users and topics are aggregated in the “following” section.
According to the company, the 2.0 update include a faster HD video upload (1080p & 720p), and since launch, Klip delivers adaptive video streaming to compensate for network’s weaknesses, it adapts to your phone bandwidth once every 4 seconds.
The touch user interface is very intuitive and the design is sleek, it looks a lot better than competitive application SocialCam which offers filters, just like Instagram, and allows to share videos privately, two features that I would like to see in the next Klip update. The ability to play all videos on a page by shaking the phone and fast forwarding by swiping your finger across the video thumbnail is unique to Klip.
New Features highlights:
- Redesigned, more visually appealing video watch page
- Use SMS and iMessage to invite friends, tag friends, and share videos
- Invite friends via webmail integration with GMail, Yahoo, Hotmail and AOL mail
- Block users from commenting on, and viewing, your videos and profile
- Integration with Facebook mobile APIs to deep link from Facebook to videos within Klip
Next Story: HP webOS: now open source
- 2014-02-27: Jean-Claude Van Damme Epic Split In Space
- 2014-01-07: Arcsoft SimpliCam with Closeli Cloud Service
- 2013-12-17: Replay for iOS Makes Cool Videos Automatically in Seconds
- 2013-09-03: Video Earrings Are Small LCDs That Hang From Your Earlobes
- 2013-08-26: Sony NEX-5T with WiFi, NFC and Fast Hybrid AF