We reported earlier that Apple’s iPhone 4S is the next best thing since steamed rice in China, with long lines forming a day before it is meant to be sold over the counter. Subsequently, it seems that rival gangs of scalpers were at each other’s throats, forcing a SWAT team to descend and inject some semblance of civility, with the risk of Apple canceling the iPhone 4S launch altogether. I guess all of the drama has resulted in the inevitable move from Cupertino to scrap the sale of its latest iPhone 4S throughout its retail stores in Beijing and Shanghai so that their customers and employees will not be harmed – this is the most Apple can do anyways, especially after a near-riot situation occurred in one of Apple’s Beijing retail stores.
An Apple spokeswoman said, “The demand for iPhone 4S has been incredible and our stores in China have already sold out. Unfortunately, we were unable to open our store at Sanlitun due to the large crowd. And to ensure the safety of our customers and our employees, iPhones will not be available in our retails stores in Beijing and Shanghai for the time being.” Good thinking – who else are willing to trade their kidney or virginity for an Apple device?
Next Story: 3M 46-inch touchscreen prototype
- 2013-09-13: The PocketPlug Is An iPhone Case With A Built-In Charger
- 2013-09-10: Apple iPhone 5 Discontinued, iPhone 4S Now Free On Contract
- 2013-09-08: Croatian Woman's iPhone 4S Reportedly Explodes On Bedside Table
- 2013-06-23: Walmart Slashes iPhone 5 And iPhone 4S Prices Permanently
- 2013-06-20: Apple Sued Over Call Forwarding Patent By Texas Company
- 2013-02-03: iPhone 4S Spontaneously Combusts, Claims Woman, Apple Turns A Blind Eye
- 2013-01-15: iPhone 5S To Begin Production In March; Launching In June/July [Rumor]
- 2012-07-05: iPhone 4S mod adds built-in wireless charging
- 2012-03-05: iPhone 4S and China Mobile are best buddies again, SIM card issue fixed
- 2012-02-05: China's iPhone 4S sales resume online