[CES 2012] Qualcomm’s mirasol display has been announced quite a while ago but we have yet to see it in products this side of the world, however that may all change soon. Today Qualcomm MEMS Technologies and The Shanghai Nutshell have announced the first mirasol display e-reader: the Bambook Sunflower. In case you’re wondering about what’s so special about Qualcomm’s mirasol display – it was touted to be the next big thing for e-readers. The mirasol display was essentially a colored version of E-ink displays; more energy-efficient than traditional LCDs and can be viewed in direct sunlight.
The Bambook Sunflower e-reader features a 5.7″ (1024 x 768) display, a Qualcomm 1GHz Snapdragon S2 processor, and will run on a Bamboo customized version of Android 2.3 Gingerbread. The e-reader is up for pre-order now in China, and will ship in February 2012. Anybody keen on picking up a mirasol display e-reader, or is black & white E-ink good enough for you?
- 2014-01-05: Qualcomm Ultra Sound NotePad Featured
- 2013-12-02: E Ink Introduces Fina E-Reader
- 2013-09-04: Qualcomm Launches Toq, Its Very Own Smartwatch
- 2013-05-22: Qualcomm 2,560 x 1,440 Mirasol Display
- 2012-12-12: E-reader Sales Drop Due To Tablets
- 2012-11-07: Amazon's Kindle Paperwhite in Japan will be priced cheaper than its US counterpart
- 2012-05-14: Kindle Fire 8.9-inch and Front-lit Kindle eReader launching soon?
- 2012-04-12: Barnes & Noble to launch front-lit Nook e-reader?
- 2012-01-30: Kobee Jin Yong Reader gets a Mirasol display
- 2012-01-12: Wanted: Star Trek Tricorder