Unless Apple has plans to deviate from their scheduled yearly refresh of the iPad, it is safe to assume that we should be seeing the iPad 3 in a couple of months, although thanks to iOS 5.1, references to the iPad 3 codenames “J1” and “J2” were discovered, which could indicate that Apple’s next-generation iPad could indeed be arriving. The iOS 5.1 Beta 3 code also revealed a reference to Facebook, which could also suggest that Facebook integration might still be in the cards.
However it should be noted that Apple has taken measures to prevent the identifying of future hardware by placing fake codename references, but then again given the success of their series of iPad tablets, it would not be a stretch of the imagination to think that the iPad 3 is in the works and would be released in 2012. As far as Facebook integration goes, some are saying that it could be a holdover from before when Apple was initially considering Facebook integration for iOS 4, but backed out at the last minute and opted for Twitter integration for iOS 5 instead.
Either way assuming that Apple does not deviate from their schedule, the next couple of months should prove to be rather interesting as we’re guessing (and hoping) that more iPad 3 details (and possibly photos) begin to emerge, but for now we guess you probably shouldn’t read too much into this for now, at least not until Apple confirms/refutes these details themselves.
- 2012-09-20: Google says iOS Google Maps in App Store hopefully "before Christmas"
- 2012-02-15: Siri does Japanese language now?
- 2012-01-18: Whited00r installs iOS 5 on original iPhone, 3G, and iPod touch without jailbreak
- 2012-01-17: iOS 5.1 Beta 3 code makes references to iPad 3 and Facebook
- 2011-12-27: iOS 5.0.1 untethered jailbreak released
- 2011-12-22: iPhone 4 iOS 5.0.1 untethered jailbreak demonstrated on video