[CES 2012] We covered the A.R.Drone when it was unveiled at CES 2010, in fact, the story was one of the fifteen most popular articles we published during the show.
For those who have been leaving under a rock for the last two years, the A.R. Drone is a smartphone controlled WiFi quadricopter, users can fly the device using the AR Freeflight application that supports iPod touch/iPhone/iPad and the most common models of Android smartphones and tablets equipped with an accelerometer.
A number of augmented reality games are also available to play with the AR Drone, including AR. Hunter, AR Race, AR.Flying Ace and AR Pursuit. In case you are interested in seeing how fun it is to play with this unique gadget before spending hundreds of dollars, check out the 11400 user videos.Today at CES Unveiled, Parrot launched an updated version, the AR.Drone 2.0, featuring a brand new design with a reinforced structure and an updated piloting application AR.FreeFlight 2.0. The addition of new pressure sensor and gyroscope offers better stability even in the higher altitudes. The AR.Drone 2.0 will be available in 2012, no word on the pricing has been shared by Parrot yet.
- Control the AR.Drone 2.0 with your smartphone (iPhone, iPod Touch, Android 2.2 and above) or tablet (iPad or Android)
- 720p high definition live video streaming to your smartphone or tablet as you are flying
- Record and share videos and pictures straight from the AR.FreeFlight 2.0 piloting application (available from the App Store and Android Market).
- New pressure sensor and gyroscope offers great stability even when flying in the higher altitudes.
- Several control modes from beginner to expert including the new patented “Absolute Control” mode.
- Geolocate your flights and connect with a community of pilots to discover videos from all over the world or check who is flying in your neighborhood.
- Director mode: easily program AR.Drone 2.0 automatic flights to record videos
- New reinforced structure
- 2014-01-13: FAA Wants To Create Safety Guidelines For Drones
- 2014-01-05: Parrot Unveils MiniDrone And Jumping Sumo Robots
- 2013-12-04: SkyJack Drone Hacks And Gains Control Of Other Drones
- 2013-11-20: Parrot Announces Zik And AR.Drone 2.0 App Compatibility For Windows
- 2013-11-04: Parrot AR.Drone 2.0 Elite Edition Announced
- 2013-01-06: Parrot AR. Drone Receives 'Flight Recorder', Bigger Battery And Games In 2013
- 2012-01-10: ZIK Parrot demo
- 2012-01-09: ZIK Parrot by Philippe Starck
- 2012-01-08: Parrot ASTEROID CK makes driving safer
- 2012-01-08: Parrot ASTEROID 2DIN: a complete in-car infotainment system