If you’re keen on finding out what RIM will be up to for the next 15 months, RIM’s leaked roadmap for 2012 might help fill you in. According to BGR that posted the roapmap (based on info gathered from its sources), RIM will be releasing BlackBerry 10 devices starting this fall. In the mean time it will still be pushing out BlackBerry 7 devices in emerging and global markets. First up – we’ll be seeing two new Curve phones over the next few months – the BlackBerry Curve 9230 (EDGE smartphone) and Curve 9320 (HSPA). Strange for a company to be releasing an EDGE-only device in this day and age, but we’ll see how that pays off.
Next, there’s supposedly a sequel to the PlayBook in the works. This one features a 1.5GHz (dual-core?) processor, built-in HSPA+ 42Mbps cellular data support and NFC. It’s supposed to arrive in May or June. The previously reported BlackBerry London is still on track for a September launch.
As for BlackBerry 10 devices, a new one that will be part of the Bold series and feature a QWERTY keyboard and touchscreend display is said to arrive in December. Another BlackBerry 10 device, this time a QWERTY slider, is said to be released in the first quarter of 2013.
We should also expect minor updates to the BlackBerry Curve along the way, but this should be pretty much the gist of it. There’s no concrete proof to back up BGR’s report (even though some of the details seem to match up with a previously rumored road map), so we’ll just have to take it with a pinch of salt and just sit back and wait. Perhaps we’ll have some answers at the MWC next month? Stay tuned.
- 2013-07-11 Research In Motion Officially Renamed To Blackberry, As Per Shareholder Vote
- 2013-02-04 BlackBerry Z10 Review
- 2013-01-30 BlackBerry Z10 Review Sentiment
- 2013-01-30 BlackBerry 10 Launched, RIM's Roadmap for 2013
- 2013-01-30 BlackBerry Z10 Announced
- 2013-01-28 White BlackBerry 10 Z10 Pictures Leak Online
- 2013-01-09 RIM Plans To Release At Least Six BlackBerry 10 Phones In 2013
- 2012-12-20 RIM Reports $114m Loss On $2.73 Billion In Revenue
- 2012-12-06 RIM Launches BlackBerry 10 Ready Program